Monday, June 30, 2008

FALSE ALARM

31 WEEKS

We had quite an adventurous week (and weekend). I went in for a routine check up for this pregnancy on Thursday. The only thing that was different was they scheduled an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have Placenta Previa (which I don't). But apparently while they were looking around they saw that my cervix was really short. They ended up measuring 3 different times and all of them were completely different from the last (2.7, 1.5, .27). I don't really know what any of that means, but my OB decided that he wanted me to go next door to Labor and Delivery at Rex Hospital. Not exactly what I was expecting (and if you ask me.... a little dramatic). I know Dr. Inge probably thought I wasn't taking this seriously enough, but I felt fine and I try not to react until I know for sure something is going on.

Anyways, I got there and called my Mom and told her what was going on. She was only supposed to watch the kids for about 2 hours but it looked like the afternoon wasn't exactly predictable anymore. So I check in... they make me get in a robe and everything and started monitoring the baby. They gave me a steroid shot for his lungs just in case he did come early and basically I just sat around for about 5 hours. The on call doctor (Dr. Maddison) came in and said she'd like to keep me overnight initially.... but after much talking and convincing.... she said it'd be fine if I went home as long as I wasn't doing anything strenuous. My mom showed up round 5:30 pm to spend sometime with me. And after the steroid shot, they let me go. It was after 8pm at this time. UGH! Mommy of course took me out to eat since it had been FOREVER and then I went home. But I had to come back to the hospital Friday evening for another round of the steroid shot, more monitoring, and a fetal fibronectin test.

I went back Friday with Christian by my side. Went through the whole ordeal once again and everything turned out fine. No more worries... no bed rest (which I'm VERY happy about). I'll probably take it pretty easy the next 2 months just to be on the safe side though. It was such a strange ordeal. I didn't feel like it wasn't as big a deal as everybody was making it out to be. I swear I was going to go crazy when Christian took the day off on Friday to stay home with me and wouldn't let me do ANYTHING. But I know he does it because he loves me. I do have to say that I could have done without all the craziness and it doesn't exactly make me look forward to my next check ups.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Glad everything turned out alright. I've had strange instances where my instincts told me everything was fine but the doctors (who don't have my instincts) had to take every precaution and it all seemed kind of crazy. Still, it's good you're taking it easy. Better to be safe than sorry! We don't want anything to happen to sweet Landon!

Erin Marriott said...

I still can't believe that whole ordeal you went through! I wish I was there to take your girls and make sure you DON'T overdo it! Lillie misses them so much, and talks about them all the time. Just a few more weeks and then this crazy summer will finally be over, haha. I miss Dan already, and he only left like 4 days ago. Sad I missed the 'sisters in the kitchen' at your house, I got an email saying it was at your house this month. I'll call you soon! Love ya girl.

Ross and Rachel said...

Hey! My email address is rachelthe2@hotmail.com. Thanks so much for sending it! Good luck with the new little one on the way. You're such a cute mom!