Tuesday, December 2, 2008

THE DREADED FAMILY PICTURE

Every year Christmas sneaks up on me and I am never prepared for it. So this year we got our Christmas shopping done early, we put our decorations up ON Thanksgiving, and we took a family picture for our Christmas cards that I never send out. I totally plan on doing a letter, picture, AND card. What can I say... I'm an over-achiever. Well, as most of you know, when you have 3 young children and someone is just snapping away with the camera NONE of the pictures are going to come out perfect. The below pictures did not disappoint... they are all equally terrible. So let us start at the beginning:


Picture #1: Apparently mom is taking a quick nap, which Mia is confused by. Landen and Dad can't keep their eyes off each other. And Kalea seems slightly amused at how dysfunctional her family is.



Picture #2: I have to say that this picture isn't bad. Kalea looks a little constipated and I can't say that I'm in love with my smile. But Christian and Mia look pretty darn cute. But what's funny is that Mia can look like THIS in one picture and then look like...



Picture #3: .... THIS in the next picture. My favorite of her faces.


Picture #4: I think Landen is trying to jump from my lap while I fix my hair. I'm pretty sure Christian is hating this whole ordeal.

Picture #5: This is Christian's complaining face. He makes this face about once a week. Usually it's when I'm asking him to do chores of some kind... or change a poopy diaper.

Picture #6: This picture is the perfect description of our family without using words... chaotic. Kalea looks genuinely happy. Landen's doing who knows what.... I can't seem to keep my eyes open... and I'm not quite sure what Christian is looking at on Kalea's face.


Picture #7: This is my "I'm EXTREMELY happy to be here face." or my "I'm really annoyed but I'm hiding it well" face. Either way, NOT flattering. While none of my children can manage to look at the camera.


Picture #8: Wiping the drool from my face while I stare at my SEXY husband. Nuff said.


Picture #9: This one turned out half way decent.

Picture #10: As did this one.
I'm sure one of these delightful pictures will end up in your Christmas card. I haven't decided if we should put a really terrible one in there just for the fun of it. Just to show everyone what an unbelievably funny person I am. So... go ahead... wait by your mailbox for my Christmas card. You know you want to.
k


4 comments:

Truelove Family said...

Your pictures remind me of the photo shoot our hometeacher did for us Mackenzie's 1st Christmas. The best one was one where no one was looking at the camera... a family in action. Definitely depicts how much the children need their parents right now. I'd say send the picture where you look the best... as I tend to send the picture where Eric looks the best and how does that really help me? Anyhow, your pictures also remind me of a picture Grandma Helms always hung on her wall: Aunt Lynda, Uncle Dennis and their 2 girls all looking in different directions. I always thought it was a really bad picture and wondered why they bought it and hung it. But, once we did a photo shoot with young children, it all became clear: all the work to get everyone's outfits on and hair fixed... you take what you get and postpone future family pictures for as long as possible. I'm amazed that my mom did one every year. We force ourselves to do it every 3 years b/c it's always a real nightmare. Maybe I just don't like my forced smile... hard to look happy when a baby's about to jump out of your lap. Thanks for sharing! Made my morning. Keep up the good work. It will pay off.

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

You make me laugh so hard! I can't imagine trying that with 3 kids...it was hard enough with just Spencer. However, I did notice the problems were not just with the kids...or maybe they created the distractions :)

Alice said...

Hey - at least you didn't do this whole ordeal at Sears with a strange woman shaking a can filled with beans as loud as she could and saying ..."baby, baby ... look at me baby" while everyone wishes they were ANYWHERE else. You guys look much more natural than in a studio. Landen is so big!

Elder Turner said...

OKAY, THOSE ARE FANTASTIC! I THINK YOU SHOULD SEND ONE OF THE KIDS LOOKNING AWAY, THE BABY CRYIN, AND YOU LOOKIN STRESSED. MAERRY CHRISTMAS ... LOL! XOX