Wednesday, November 23, 2011

ASIANS

Christian likes to laugh that I haven’t made any friends except for the 85% of the Asians that live in Baity Hill. It’s true… they’re everywhere. The 1/8 of my genes feels right at home.

Mia’s made a friend named “Vanessa” (this is her name, but her American name). She is cute as can be and has a grandma who is just as cute. She laughs a lot, nervously. She flips her hair like a teenager (The Grandma, not Vanessa). She is all around sweet. When Mia goes over to play she has a great time. The other day Vanessa’s Grandma was walking Mia back from their apartment and brought food with her. Let me back up, so apparently after the first play date it is tradition to give a gift to the child. This is just a guess, but it has happened twice now with the kids when they have a play date at an Asian home. Anyways, I felt kind of bad so I sent cookies with Mia one day. I think this confused the grandma because the next week she brought over chive pancakes and “mystery meat”. We have NO idea what kind of meat it was. It LOOKED like sausage but for all we knew it could have been a domestic animal… you know where I’m going with this. (I can be stereotypical because of that 1/8th in me). Anyways, Christian and I were feeling daring one day so we fried it all up. It was actually pretty good… I’m not going to lie… I was surprised. And because of the weirdness of this event I snapped pictures for documentation purposes.

Ok, Now since the packaging was in Chinese I had to wing it.

IMG_0170IMG_0171

Here is the finished pancake and the mystery meat.

IMG_0169IMG_0172

AAAANNNNDD HERE WE GO!

IMG_0173

ME LIKEY!

IMG_0174

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Tell that boy to take that shirt off! Wait... that doesn't sound right. I want him to wear a shirt, just not THAT one! :) Hasn't living in Chapel hill rubbed off on him just a little bit???

Sorry, but chive pancakes and mystery meat is just nasty! Glad you are making friends. Ha!

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

I was cracking up the entire time reading that story out loud to Brad. hilarious! That is so funny the granny gave you 'real' food....ha ha ha

Russ said...

Those chive pancakes are awesome! I ate those all the time in Taiwan! Where does this lady get her food? I need to go buy some chinese stuff so i can cook it for Aimee!