Wednesday, October 27, 2010

PROJECTS

The past weeks have been as busy as ever. I think we’re pushing ourselves too hard. Christian has been fighting a cold for 2 weeks but there’s been little rest to help him. I’ve been burning both ends with 3 kids, a husband in night classes and who works full time, and then sleeping children who like to cry in the middle of the night.

Let me tell you about Kalea last night. She woke up crying. So the first thing that entered my mind was a. a nightmare or b. she wet the bed. So I went in there and she is FREAKING out. Not just crying, but seriously upset. She keeps repeating “Peach, I got a 2.” and then she says, “I got a 1”. Makes no sense, right? Well before you think she’s crazy… we play a lot of Mario Party. I mean A LOT of Mario Party and Peach is the Princess. And you roll dice and thus the 1 and 2. So she’s inconsolable. It takes me a few minutes to realize she’s not really awake. She’s still in a dead sleep.  Like sleep walking minus the walking. So what do I do like any good mother? I put her in a cold shower. Don’t judge me. She was acting CRAZY. And they say never to wake a sleep walker, but she’s screaming and crying so much that she woke up the whole house and I couldn’t calm her down. After she’d been in the shower for a few minutes she finally comes to. And then she asks me what happened. I tell her and she finds it hilarious. I’m glad someone does… because Mia’s freaked, Landen is crying, and Christian is exhausted. I get Kalea back to bed, but then Landen is up with me for another hour before he’s calm enough to go back to sleep. There’s no rest for the weary.

In the free time that I have… which isn’t much. I’ve taken crocheting back up. About 2 years ago I tried and failed miserably. I was pregnant with Landen and tried to make a baby blanket. I had this vision of him cuddling up to it as a newborn and feeling so fulfilled by my project and my new son. Didn’t happen. The thing looked like garbage and I threw it away because I was so mad at it. Christian found the whole ordeal hilarious of course. He thinks I don’t have a “homemaking” stitch in my body. Well, let me tell you something…. I proved him WRONG!! I made HATS!! Cute yarn filled, flower doting, winter beanies for the girls and they are sooo cute! Observe.

IMG_0109

 

IMG_0107

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So I’m feeling crafty and confident in my abilities! Granted the project is a pretty easy one. I’ve moved on to trying to crochet a scarf/cowl. It has buttons to make it have a more wrapped around look. My sis-in-law found the pattern and we’re both making one. She’s in Utah, so it doesn’t matter if we wear it at the same time (lame joke, i know). Here’s where you can find the pattern Cowl Pattern.

crochet-convertible-scarf-2

I’m going to do a dark heather grey (the same from Kalea’s hat) but the buttons are going to be a shimmery metallic grey also instead of the red ones. Wish me luck!! Hopefully it works out. Oh, and I’m not going to wear it over my mouth like a bank robber.

I’m feeling super crafty right now. I’m not sure why because I’ve never felt like making this kind of stuff in my LIFE. Maybe my little bit of success is pushing me forward. Either way, it’s really fun and I’m enjoying it. Here are a few other things I have on my TO-DO LIST.

1. Slouchy Hat


slouchyhat2slouchyhat3

This hat is so cute to me! I love the olive green color too. You can find it here.

2. Phannie Hat

I really like this hat too! It’s not so much that my head get’s cold in the winter. But I love hats because you can just throw them on and go. Their both pretty similar. But if I can’t do one pattern, it’s always good to have a back up. I’m also looking for a newsboy style beanie with a brim to work on. Their super cute to me, but I haven’t found a pattern I like yet. Here’s the pattern for this one.

phannie_op

 

3. Scrunchy Scarf

This is Brittney. She is wicked talented. WICKED TALENTED, PEOPLE. She made the scarf which I COVET… which is not good. She was so sweet to post how to make it and it looks so pretty (not to mention how gorgeous she looks already). Perfect for everyday, or to spice up a dress for church. You can check out her other crafts here. ( Don’t worry Brit, my blog is private so you won’t get any creepy weirdo’s stalking you… except for me of course.)

DSC_0872

6 comments:

Brittney said...

I have creeps stalking me all the time! Thats how I found Brad HAHA. Anyway YOU are just as talented! I could never crochet, believe me Ive tried! Love the hat!

kelley said...

I had NO idea you crocheted. I'll admit, I laughed a little at Christian accusing you of not having homemaking skills. But I can't laugh too hard b/c I'm currently attempting to hand-stitch a quilt. It's a true test of any pioneer woman I may have in me...

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

I love it! That is a good hobby to have. You can get awesome like Mother and crochet those baby blankets for Candice and Camillia since they think they will not get one for their babies... :)

katie said...

AWESOME hat!! I want one:)

Simpson5 Family Blog said...

You did a good job. You have several homemaking skills. Christian, Christian oh my. He is funny

Christy said...

Totally cute hat! And your pictures are looking great, too. You're just a bundle of talent. Oh, and I had to catch up a bit on your blog and thought the Baby Jessica joke was pretty hilarious...though I wouldn't have been able to laugh at the time out of principal. Have a great day!