Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHERHOOD – A PRICELESS AND ETERNAL GIFT

Happy Mother’s Day to all the women out there who have selflessly brought another life into this world. Who raise their children to become a righteous and beautiful person. Who have shown unconditional love to their little ones and who have put their own needs on hold. I have found a wonderful blog here about mothers and has some wonderful quotes also. One in particular I read a few months ago and really stuck out to me.

President Howard W. Hunter on motherhood:

A man who holds the priesthood has reverence for motherhood. Mothers are given a sacred privilege to “bear the souls of men; for herein is the work of [the] Father continued, that he may be glorified” ( D&C 132:63).

The First Presidency has said: “Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind” (in James R. Clark, comp., Messages of the First Presidency, 6 vols., Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965–75, 6:178). The priesthood cannot work out its destiny, nor can God’s purposes be fulfilled, without our helpmates. Mothers perform a labor the priesthood cannot do. For this gift of life, the priesthood should have love unbounded for the mothers of their children.

Honor your wife’s unique and divinely appointed role as a mother in Israel and her special capacity to bear and nurture children. We are under divine commandment to multiply and replenish the earth and to bring up our children and grandchildren in light and truth (Moses 2:28; D&C 93:40). You share, as a loving partner, the care of the children. Help her to manage and keep up your home. Help teach, train, and discipline your children.

You should express regularly to your wife and children your reverence and respect for her. Indeed, one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother.

A man who holds the priesthood regards the family as ordained of God. Your leadership of the family is your most important and sacred responsibility. The family is the most important unit in time and in eternity and, as such, transcends every other interest in life.

I am eternally grateful for the mothers that have been put on this earth for me. Including my own mother, my mother-in-law, and my grandmothers. They have each taught me something different and have helped mold me into a better person. They have loved my family and shown that love unconditionally in so many ways.

4 generations 208

I am thankful for my husband. He is a great example of what The First Presidency has said, “Indeed, one of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” I am so blessed to have him as my eternal companion. He has shown me love and support in ways that I never knew were possible. I am thankful to him for making me a mother.

I am also extremely grateful for the best example of what a mother is through the mother of our Savior, Mary. She was chosen by our Heavenly Father to bear and raise the Savior. She was guided by the spirit to teach her precious child the things the Father wanted him to learn. She was faithful and the ultimate example of love. I thankful to her and for her worthiness to bring our Redeemer into this world.  mary_baby_jesus

1 comment:

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

I love that quote. True, true... That pic from cousins camp is hilarious...little man doing a backbend makes me laugh.